Friday, February 07, 2014

Write (Five-minute Friday)

The unfairness of childhood was what first provoked me to write.  My very first 'diary'.  It was full of frustration.  Always being told what to do, never being allowed to use my own judgement.  Wishing I was old enough to make my own decisions.

Because I wrote it down, I remember.  I remember how it felt.  I can empathise with my son when he complains about how "it's not fair".  Because life is not fair to children.  They are not on equal status with adults but with an adult perspective you know that's usually a good thing.

My journal has been my most faithful friend.  The only friend that I don't censor myself around.  The safest of all spaces.  To write is to know myself.  To get reaquainted with who I am, what I'm thinking, feeling, and what I believe.  To say the things that I can't say out loud.  To say the things that I yearn and wish for without anyone mocking me.  


Five Minute Friday

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I hear you sister...my kids have started reading some of my early journals and oh how I blush!! But, yes, the real me is on those pages, unscripted and uncensored!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:57 am

    "to write is to know myself" I LOVE it! Stopping by from FMF:)

    ReplyDelete